• 14 replies
    • 33 replies
    • 7 replies
    • 2 replies

Orient Expat Friends
Meet your global neighbours. . .

• British student mauled by tiger in Thailand
      By britmaveric · Posted
      ^I guess they better not visit any zoo in Thailand.
      By TizMe · Posted
      http://www.careforthewild.com/what-we-do/campaigns/previous-campaigns/tiger-temple-the-truth/ The Tiger Temple claims it received its first tigers legitimately as animals rescued from poachers, however, investigators obtained evidence that suggested that, rather than continuing as a rescue centre, the Temple now operates as a breeding facility and may be involved in the illegal tiger trade. The Temple claims to breed tigers for conservation. It does not have a breeding license, but at least ten cubs were born there. With no information about the tigers’ subspecies, most if not all offspring are likely to be hybrids. For this reason alone the Temple’s tigers are unsuitable for inclusion in a recognised conservation breeding programmes. Another concern is that the release of tigers that are used to human proximity is dangerous for the tigers and the public. Long-term housing facilities at the temple therefore fall woefully short even of minimum requirements. Our investigators witnessed that, far from being allowed to roam free, tigers were actually confined for 20 hours a day in small cages, measuring 31.5m2 to 37.3m2. This falls short of the published minimum of 500m2 for a pair or a mother and her cubs. Apart from their totally inadequate size, the cages contain virtually no enrichment.    
    • New Zealand's government is taking submissions for new designs for its national flag
      By Dixie · Posted
      This flag debate is reported to be costing upwards of 12 million NZD.....what a waste???
      By Dixie · Posted
      They might be healthy, but I still feel its not right, just my personal opinion. I would like to believe that they could all be released back into the wild, but they would probably be less safe there. Pros and cons to everything...
      By britmaveric · Posted
      Great place and tigers are damn healthy compared to some spots in Thailand.