Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help and advice for my Filipina girlfriend, UK or Phillipines?

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,youve probably heard all this before,but here goes!!

Ive been speaking to a lovely philli girl on Yahoo nnow for over 6 months,also seen her on cam,and talked on the phone.

She is a good christian girl,even made me show her my bible to prove I was,shes not the typical "bar girl" type.

We both want to be together,and I was considering selling-up here in UK and moving there,maybe starting up a laundry/ironing business in Manilla,with her keen help.

She is so exited at the prospect and so am I,so my questions are as follows;

1) Will it be possible to set up a business there and if we marry, would I be able to stay there for life?

2) I will be going on a limited amount maybe less than 2000 Pounds but she says she will accommodate me, so no expenses of rent etc.

3) I have heard the 'outsiders' can't ownb or run a business, so all will be in her name, is this OK?

4) If all this is impossible then what are the requirements to bring her to UK?

Any help or advise will be much appreciated,even if you have a good laugh before hand.

We are both serious,I would prefere to live there.

Edited by กำนัน
Changed everything to lower case

Posted (edited)

I read such a text recently somewhere on the internet, I wonder where.... which forum might it be?

I think, it was called 'asiaexpat.info' or something like that...

Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam...

My (serious) advice is always the same:

Take vacation, buy a return ticket valid for 14 to 21 days, get on an airplane and see yourself ...

Btw, living in Manila is not so easy, especially if your income depends on a small laundry shop in the suburbs...

She is a good christian girl,even made me show her my bible to prove I was,shes not the typical "bar girl" type...

Even the bar girls in Manila are good christian girls ... whatever they do, the Lord and the Holy Mary will forgive them...

Edited by yohan

Posted

Let's see if I've got this right... You're thinking about selling up, and putting all of your assets into the name of someone you only know through a webcam?...

Why don't you just put cash into a plastic bag, leave it on the doorstep, and see if it's there in the morning?

If she wants to come to the UK, she will need to meet the standard UK immigration requirements. It's all there on the FCO website. See: My Thai Family's Road to a UK Settlement Visa

Note however, that I think there is some requirement that you have actually met eachother... unless of course, you want to have a punt at a tourist visa.

BTW, it's incredibly bad forum manners to write posts with your CAPS lock on, and it's time consuming for mods to change it to lower case. Next time I'll just hit delete.

I think, it was called 'asiaexpat.info' or something like that...

That domain name was killed off five years ago. Talk about living in the past!

Yes, this poster was in love with a Vietnamese girl a few weeks ago. What a plonker...

Honest advise please, about marrying my vietnamese girlfriend

We're either being trolled, or the OP is a tw@t.

Posted

oh well,seems i got nothing but hostility here and negative comments. i am not a stupid guy or a troll or a tw*t!!!

i am an ex army soldier,fought in bosnia and kandahar,so i am used to comments like these.

i just never expected such dis respect from some of the members here,so if u cant say anything constructive,then here s an idea,.........dont comment at all!!

of course we are planning to meet and i have several ex army pals living there,but i thought people here would give me honest answers,coz my mates there just go from one girl to another and i am not looking for that

i still would however apreciate any ideas some others have to give.

as to site rules,excuse me all to hell,ive only signed on today.

Posted

Well there do seem to be a few variants in regards to your story. Is your G/F from Vietnam or from the Philippines? Why have you changed the location of where your G/F is? In regards to the advice given, Mandrunk and Yohan have given you some helpful information. I 100% argree with Yohan, visit the Country and visit the Woman, if you find both agreeable you should perhaps spend a few months in country. Never rush in, especially with Internet romances they generally end in tears.

Posted

dave e,

Please explain yourself. Do you have a Vietnamese GF or a Filipina GF?

You probably won't see many kind responses if you are actually two-timing these women.

Posted

I wonder who would win in a scrap between a Viet girlfriend and a Flippo girlfriend ? any thoughts chaps?

Posted

The Viets are a more warlike race, they have handed the arses of the French, Yanks and Chinese on a plate. Still from the Flippos that I know, they would have the weight advantage. I think we need Kim and Leaper to help us out on this one...

Posted (edited)

Place your bets..but hold on, I think we could extend this further, there is scope, we could have an ASEAN bargirl barfighting contest, send that Canadian pilot round with the libido and he can get one of each, then they can have a knock out contest, using bar fittings, winner takes Mike or whatever his name was,now that would be TV worth watching

Edited by RacNamman

Posted

i thought people here would give me honest answers

That's exactly what you're getting. If you can't take honest, straight talking, don't ask for it...

In my opinion (and most right minded people I would imagine), the very idea of putting all of your assets into the name of some webcam girl you didn't even meet yet, is the height of stupidity. Stupid stupid stupid.

coz my mates there just go from one girl to another and i am not looking for that

It looks to me like that's exactly what you're doing. What happened to this Vietnamese girl you were going to marry last month? You look at the very least, disingenuous and dishonest.

I wonder who would win in a scrap between a Viet girlfriend and a Flippo girlfriend ? any thoughts chaps?

Filipinas... I've got the scars on my head to prove it. That girl sure knew how to vent her anger with one of her high heels.

Posted

Dave, you are not getting disrespect, you are getting a dose of reality. Let me put it succinctly: No. You can't. Serving in the military is an education, to be sure. Not one you were paying much attention to, apparently. And whatever war zone or theater of conflict you were in will have only a tangential application to running a business in Manila. First, you can't own diddley squat in the Philippines. And you don't have a clue what it is to live poor. I mean really poor. Where they scavenge the food from the bins at the local fast food shops, wash it, cook it again and resell it. To a willing crowd. No pretending it is something else. Recooked garbage. You ready for that? On your 2000 pounds, if that is all you are bringing, that's what you will end up living on.

Now, if you are getting 2000 pounds a month, that is horse of a different color. Go, move to Manila. Start you laundry. See how you do. Everything is price point in the Philippines. If they can get crap for 2 pesos less, that is what sells, even if you were selling or providing a high quality service, it won't mean anything. The two peso difference will.

If you go into business and they (the neighbors - whomever) see you doing well, they will go into the same business. But you want more than, oh, four dollars a day profit. You are screwed, Dave. Because someone who will do it for 200 or 300 pesos a day profit will be your competition.

Yohan told you right. Buy a ticket, go meet her. Stay for a month if you can. But the idea you will move to Manila, start a business (maybe after you get your Resident Visa) Live here before you make any long term commitment. Odds are that you will likely enjoy visiting the Philippines if you have some cash and you will hate it if you don't.

It is your life and you have your own capabilities and willingness to adapt. So we could ALL be wrong. People make their own lives and you can make yours. But the scenario you've described does not sound promising. If you wanted a round of "oh yeah, sounds great, go for it" you'll have to ask else where.

And I love the Philippines. I've been swindled here, left flat broke, ended up on death's door and had angels step in to save me here. So while not a long term resident, I have some real life experience to go on. I wouldn't trade any of it for fame or fortune. So go for it if you are willing to lose big time and then pick up from there and start over. It might be just what you need. Only you can tell. But it won't be easy, I can promise you that.

Tatoosh

Posted

"maybe starting up a laundry/ironing business in Manilla,with her keen help"

:unsure:

I think Dave's having a laugh!

Posted

.....you don't have a clue what it is to live poor. I mean really poor. Where they scavenge the food from the bins at the local fast food shops, wash it, cook it again and resell it.

.....On your 2000 pounds, if that is all you are bringing, that's what you will end up living on.

.....If you go into business and they (the neighbors - whomever) see you doing well, they will go into the same business. But you want more than, oh, four dollars a day profit. You are screwed, Dave. Because someone who will do it for 200 or 300 pesos a day profit will be your competition.

Tatoosh

Tatoosh,

You really know about life in Philippines very well outside of the financial center in Makati and tourist resorts on Mactan.

And it's not only about the low income which makes life so hard in Philippines, it is about high expenses, too. Philippines is NOT a cheap country, if you expect even a VERY modest life-style for you without being too much worried about tomorrow.

Let me add the medical problem to your list...

I pay for my Filipina fostergirl a medical insurance in Cebu, and this is USD 600,- per year. It includes only medical fees of any kind - also dentist, but not medicine.

Last year in Mandaue, Cebu there was the dengue fever everywhere in that area, and this year it's TB.

Pay - or die early... even Philippine children understand that...

Posted

Ok y,all,I got the message about the phillipines idea,and some of you were right....and wrong too.

I did have a vietnam girl,but she went all wierd on me,moved away from home for 2 weeks,came back and said she had a change of heart.

The philli girl,i was just talking to as a friend,every now and then,2-3 times a week,but now we have gotten more serious,she is a lovely girl.so there was no matter of being dis loyal to them,i am not that kind of guy.

Also,I have seen poverty while in the army,kids looking for scraps to eat...we used to hand out food in a humanitarian effort,so i understand it.

i have taken your advice though,my next step will be to go there for a few weeks and have a look around,but i also have an internet business,its in its early stages but should be making good money in the next few months,that should provide me with an income where ever i am,but now i am thinking of bringing the philli girl here to the uk instead,perhaps a better idea,we could still go there to visit her family twice a year.

So............what are the requirements getting her here to the uk??Easier i think than it would have been getting a vietnam girl here.....less red tape i have heard!

I guess i deserved some of the hostility as i was thinking with my heart and not my brain.

thanks for the reality check.

Posted

first thing to get her in your country is to marry the girl. leave her at the philippines and get her a petition paper. maybe after 3 to 6 months, you can fly your new wife to your country.

Posted

Tatoosh,

You really know about life in Philippines very well outside of the financial center in Makati and tourist resorts on Mactan.

And it's not only about the low income which makes life so hard in Philippines, it is about high expenses, too. Philippines is NOT a cheap country, if you expect even a VERY modest life-style for you without being too much worried about tomorrow.

Let me add the medical problem to your list...

I pay for my Filipina fostergirl a medical insurance in Cebu, and this is USD 600,- per year. It includes only medical fees of any kind - also dentist, but not medicine.

Last year in Mandaue, Cebu there was the dengue fever everywhere in that area, and this year it's TB.

Pay - or die early... even Philippine children understand that...

Yes philippines is cheap! i will move there in 2 weeks and i find an apart for $300 a month near a great beach and have a gym and a pool! i cant never find this in my country. and is many place for rent like this one and even cheaper then that. the food is cheap! yes ofcours im not plaining to go eat in restaurant everyday but you can buy veggy and checken and rice is cheap here. so yes you can live a great life there for about $700 a month or less depend on what you do.

Posted

yes you can live a great life there for about $700 a month

As a foreigner if you can find your income from outside the Philippines, yes, you can enjoy a cheap life, for sure cheaper than in Western countries.

For local people however the situation is very different from those of Westerners, USD 700,- are about php 28.000,-, but the average income for a teacher in elementary school for example is only php 12000,-.

USD 300,- are about php 12.000,-, but most people living poor in a rented small house and can pay maybe only php 3000,- or so...

And do not forget about medical expenses, most people do not have any insurance, pay cash or die early, but to pay out of which money, if you do not have any money because you are jobless? There are various areas with jobless rates for young people around 50 percent...

Posted (edited)

yes you right about that.

Edited by กำนัน
No need to quote the last post.

Posted

Yes philippines is cheap! i will move there in 2 weeks and i find an apart for $300 a month near a great beach and have a gym and a pool!!!

Whereabouts in the Philippines are you going to be staying? php12,000 is very cheap for a reasonable place in the Philippines (Thailand is much cheaper for rental and I think you'd be struggling to get a place near a beach with a pool & gym there for that sort of money),

you can live a great life there for about $700 a month or less depend on what you do.

My "Retirement Dream" calculator says I need at least double that to have a reasonable lifestyle, possibly more if you like/need your western comforts, many of which are more expensive than in your home country.

Posted

Thank you, JustB, for your comment, yes, it is clear that you know well about life in Philippines.

PHP 12.000,- for rent for a house fitting to foreigners? Good luck. Even the pink house I created for my fosterdaughter in Mandaue in so-called poor housing area (tiny landplots of 30 m2) could be rented out for php 15000,-.

Missing land reforms and high population is a major problem in Philippines.

And yes, Thailand is cheaper - often remarkable cheaper - than Philippines for both, rent and sale of accomodation/condominium to foreigners. Thailand is also cheaper for sightseeing.

Beaches in Thailand are often for free, in Philippines beaches are often privately owned, you go to the beach you pay. You drive up to the hills, take a look around on the top and it's privately owned and you pay - you pay for yourself, for the car and even for the driver... what a rip-off.

Philippines is not so cheap for a Western foreigner as you might think. About living there are also some security issues to consider. I recommend a guarded community housing / or guarded condominium.

That's not cheap, neither for rent nor for lease.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Yohan, as I've posted before, Cebu & Davao are on my potential list of places to spend a few years, so I have done some research into property prices & my best estimate for somewhere that I would live (Secure, Western Standards etc...) would be php30-50,000 per month, even that wouldn't get me the size/standard of apartment that I'm used to.

Also interesting to note that whilst doing some research for my upcoming trip to Cambodia, I came across a number of articles about Westerners who are leaving the Philippines to go live there because it's getting too expensive to live in the Philippines, especially with the weak US$.

Everybody's situation is different & if you're married to a local, living a local lifestyle in the provinces you can get by on less, but for me, I would want at least £1,000 (US$1,600, php68,000) per month and my retirement target would be to have more like 2-3 times that.

Edited by JustB

Posted (edited)

A local lifestyle in the provinces in Philippines is getting boring for sure - or you will maybe end as an alcoholic, and there are also security concerns. Not only regarding criminals, but also about weather. - Visits, OK, but to live there for longstay? I cannot recommend that. Really not.

About myself, end of next year my fosterdaughter will be 18 and from that day on she can travel outside of Philippines. - She and her sister and cousin can come to my home in Thailand.

I think starting with 2014 I will not so frequently visit Philippines anymore.

In and around Cebu city there are various guarded housing compounds, which administration is accustomed to foreign ownership by leasing contracts if you prefer own house - and if you prefer condominium, there are various offers for foreign ownership in a safe area, like around Ayala etc. but rent or sale of such housing is not cheap at all.

I never stay overnight in the house I helped to construct for my fosterdaughter and the people with her. And there is even another little home I bought for the caretaker as a gift, she did much for me and the child over many years and she is a very trustful person, but I have never even seen this 28 m2 house - it's dangerous for me to go there near the hills in Mandaue. House and land USD 4500,- so what can you expect? What people are living there? But it is now rented out for php 2500,- a month and that person living there really pays on time since years. A elementary teacher, a woman with income of php 12000,-

As a foreigner, you have to be careful, you cannot live like a Filipino, some people survive with a few USD a day, but don't ask me how they survive. Many are accustomed to poverty and also violence, criminality etc, as they never have seen anything else in their life.

USD 700,- is by far too low, at least for me. Not under USD 2000,- I think, and I am not talking about upper class life style, just average....

Philippines is not so cheap, considering real estate/rent, medical fees, good school for children, security concerns and so on and so on.

Edited by yohan

Posted

Beaches in Thailand are often for free

Beaches in Thailand are always open and free to the public, that is the law. There is no such thing as a private beach... You will often see hotels and resorts claiming their own private beach in their promotional literature, but it just means they have grabbed all the land adjacent to that beach... They actually have no right or legal power to stop the public using it.

Posted

I'd love to make a friend who has a girfriend from the phills

I have a finace in Davao City

I think if you wanna bring your ''wife'' here you need to be self - supporting - obviously

Plus you need to be intending to marry her within six months - for the UK Visa for her

- Those are two of the roughly five requiremnets spelled out on the UK Government Immigration website thingy

But good luck to you

And I know I've met someone I am happy with