Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Philippines 2010 Election - It Worked!

3 posts in this topic

Posted

In retrospect, I have to say I was quite impressed with the Philippine election. There had been a lot of hand wringing and nay saying going on. Projections of massive failure, probable fraud, GMA instituting martial law, and everything going to heck in a hand basket.

Instead, it was pretty quiet, the new machines worked fairly well, Ninoy won by a pretty substantial majority, GMA has not instituted martial law and everything may end up going to heck in a hand basket anyway, but not due to the election process.

There was some violence, but I think it was tied to local politics, not national. Mayors, Barangay Captains, and so forth are hotly contested positions. Money changes hands, much like Chicago or New York City politics in the old days. What I found refreshing was that usually, the poorer folks happily take money from either candidate for whatever local position and then vote for whomever they want. Nice. It is trickle down economics at work, so if you were from the USA and had a Republican tilt, you'd be well pleased.

I only heard of one family member that changed their vote due to a bribe. Everyone else voted their conscience and/or preference. The money was just one of those all-too-rare windfalls that arrives in time to buy school clothes or help with tuition.

So, as an outsider, not particularly involved or rooting for one side or the other, I thought it went pretty darn well. The only thing that kind of surprised me was how many folks voted for Erap again. People, and I mean the masses, often complain about corruption. But then to re-elect a convicted politician a second time, would have been a sad message. Actually bad enough he came in second.

Let's see, we now have an Aquino (son) in the palace and Marcos (son) in the Senate. How the worm turns. Even Imelda is in office again. Marikina City must be celebrating big time!

Posted

Yes, in Cebu it was very quiet, many shops closed. No problems at all.

One coming, one going...to be in a political good position, you must be Christian orientated, a person who fits American values, and you must be very rich...

Arroyo was the daughter of a former president, Ninoy Aquino is the son of a former president, who became only the president, because her husband, deeply into politics, was killed.

The election result is therefore the same, with or without vote buying, with or without defective counting machines...

Posted

Yohan, I can follow the part about being "Christian oriented" here. I think that is true enough. But the part about fits "American values" leaves me more than a little puzzled. Do you mean American values in the sense of capitalism? While the USA is a prime supporter of that economic model, the British and Europeans were its early developers.

If you mean the effect of American culture on the Philippines or the world in general, I guess I could agree, though the effect of Spain and the peculiar Spanish Catholic church had a much longer and deeper effect than the fifty years that the USA purportedly ran the place. It might be worthwhile to recall that the Filipinos were electing representatives from 1907 and really took over much of the government from 1916 onward. Yes, the US had oversight, but it was mostly a Filipino ran place.

Even with the military bases here, the US had only so much influence. Yeah, Marcos. And after him, they tossed us out. Interestingly, we almost left prior to WWII due to demands for higher payment. The US military considered the Philippines problematic to defend. (Well, most of the US military except for Douglas MacArthur.)

And poor men or women rarely win elections anywhere. That is the nature of the beast. I don't know the machines were all that defective once they got the kinks worked out. A last minute dash to get good memory cards in them and it went pretty well. Yeah, some wanted a parallel count, but I can see little reason for it. All that would do is allow the same sort of "count buying" that occurred previously and then they could claim the machines were "wrong" and throw the whole thing into a recount that could be bought by the highest bidder.

If they were going to do anything to reassure the public or the international community as to the validity of the count, it would be selected recounts and inspections of ballots and counting machines to see if there were any real discrepancies. But not a whole "parallel count". To me that is ludicrous.

The Philippines gets the sort of the government the people want or are at least willing to tolerate. For all the comments I've heard from Filipinos about corruption here and how it needs to end, Erap got second place after being convicted of corruption. What message is that? If Ninoy's mother hadn't died recently, Erap might have got back in power. Which would have been the perfect answer to any reformer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Methodologies For Learning New Languages
      By ryderman3 · Posted
      I hired a skype teacher from Chaing Mai before venturing to LOS, I learnt the basics of reading,writing and speaking in a very short time. One to one training is far better than a classroom situation as you have constant interaction with the teacher. After 2 months I was able to read (albeit, very slowly) Thai, it was just a case of building on my vocab. I stopped the lessons yet even after 2 years I still remember everything she taught me. I have the advantage even being in the UK to continue my learning as Calm Junior always watches Thai Movies plus now we have a Thai lodger and Calm speaks Thai to her all the time. Our lodger was very impressed with the amount I knew and though I still find it difficult to maintain a conversation I am able to follow, in part, some of the conversations. I constantly interrupt them to ask what a word or sentence is. As for the method of learning, I have always  found that writing things down and seeing the word has always helped me to remember, trying to learn purely from conversation does not work for me.
    • Lao News Site
      By timmurray · Posted
      That's a good site - some interesting articles. I've been following the great railway debacle in the Lao press (such as it is) the last few years. In 2012 a lady in Vientiane province who maintains a garden containing the most species of Dok Champa tree (frangipani) in one place anywhere in the world had her land forcibly bought and cleared in preparation for the rail route, so great that they have now confirmed it will go ahead. Not so good though, will be the devastating effect that the link will have on Laos as we know it. It will, first and foremost, be a low speed freight route, not the flashy white bullet train through the mountains that is being depicted in the state controlled media. It will carry out wood till it is al gone, and facilitate more and more mineral extraction to line the pockets of the officials who are already driving round Vientiane in Hummers, Porche and even Rolls Royce. At the moment there are some towns in the north where Lao is increasingly becoming the second language after mandarin - I was in Namkeung recently and the main street is exclusively Chinese now. The rail link will spread this right through the country. Even in Vientiane, the rate of Chinese immigration has gone exponential the last 3 years. I am not anti-Chinese or anti-immigration, but the problem is that in Laos it is unchecked and unplanned, and everything happens for short term gains for the few people at the top. I can't see this railway bringing any good - even if it was free. The fact that the Lao govt are going to go into debt forever to pay for it, when they can't pay their teachers and need aid/loans/grants to pay for every single big ticket item, makes it so much worse. Looking at it as a trade corridor alone we may think that Laos will benefit from this enormously - but recent experience shows otherwise. The much talked about (road)trade corridor between Thailand-Laos-Vietnam (Mukdahan-Savannakhet-LaoBao-Danang) has had very little beneficial effect on Laos. Trade passes right through between Thailand & Vietnam, with Laos benefitting only from haulage fees and selling food to the drivers.  Well that's my Friday rant over with. Not a great fan of huge infrastructure projects, with huge financial burdens, that have not been fully justified and planned in careful detail by qualified people first. The Chinese partners must be grinning ear to ear.  
      By Bluecat · Posted
      Indeed, the main reason most native English speakers do not speak another language
      By METHOS · Posted
      I'm much liking this memrise site. I think the use of combining the major methods of learning make it very effective. That said, I know that this step is only part of the process, albeit, a large part. Learning the vocabulary will only help to build a foundation, and putting the language to use by conversing with native speakers is key in any language for a number of reasons. I think necessity often trumps desire, but in the case of language learning, necessity may be rare for native English speakers. I also think necessity can sometimes be limiting. Some linguists speak about creating an environment of necessity by way of self-immersion, even if you are not able to leave your home, as a means of expediting the learning process. By that, they mean, forcing yourself to use the target language throughout the day, in everything that you do, whenever possible. Not sure how that's supposed to work, but the gist makes sense. I suppose that would involve conversing over VoIP and the like, especially.
      By Bluecat · Posted
      Indeed Methos, and learning a language requires lot of efforts, whatever way you do it. So I guess that any method is good providing you spend enough time doing it, and usually it means, as Dixie said, being immersed in a situation that requires you to learn it.