Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Cell Phone in the Philippines?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I would like to first thank everyone for responding to my previous post. I got lots of great advice and am going to take it with me and put it to good use.

My next question is...

I am going to the Philippines the first 2 weeks of April. I wanted to know what people thought about the idea of getting a cell phone for the time I am there. Do they have pay as you go cell phones there kind of like a Trac Phone here in the States? If so what is a good one to get and where would I get one from? Should I buy when I get there or before I get there or should I even get one at all??? Would I be able to order it off of the internet and have it sent here so I would have it when I land?

The reason I am thinking about getting one is because my Girlfriend is flying there about a week before me and she is going to be picking me up at the airport. I am a little nervous about not finding her and also if I get seperated from her and get lost I could give her a call. She is going to have her brothers cell phone to use. Or do you think I am worrying about it too much, which I tend to do quite often. lol

Thanks again... I can't wait to go

Posted

The Philippines uses the same GSM mobile communications system used in the almost every other country. You can just buy any old GSM phone, get a pre-paid SIM card from a 7-Eleven upon arrival and be up and running straight away. You could pick up a used phone when you arrive (a cheap one could be just a couple of thousand Pesos), or bring one with you. For example, I'm using my Thai cellphone in the UK right now, all I needed to get was the UK SIM card, put it in my Thai phone and hey presto, I have a working UK number. I can effectively use my GSM phone in any country, even on CDMA networks in the USA and Japan. See: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_Identity_Module"

Posted

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just get one when I get there for cheap then get a sim card at the local 7 eleven.

I am getting really excited... I will be there in about 3 weeks, I can't wait.

Posted

This is a very worthwhile thread, too bad it isn't in a "must read" section. Newbies should by a cheap 1300 to 1800 peso cell phone, get a sim card and buy their load as they go. Keep it for the next time you come back if you think you will be back in a reasonable time period.

If not, make her happy and give it away. What, 30 or 40 bucks, maybe? Now, if you really want to make her happy, get a nicer one to give. Nothing says "I love you" like a cell phone. She may not keep it. She may give it to her sister, brother, mom, tita or lolo. But it is all good, to quote a member here.

Note, if she's in a metro area and rides a jeepney regularly, a very nice cell phone is an invitation to be robbed. My wife owns two, one nice, one cheap. I simply hide mine under my pot belly which makes it very hard to nick without getting my attention.

Posted

Every country uses same GSM mobile. In GSM phone, there are 7 to 11 digits, which is a identity of country, user, etc. If you are user of Thai cellphone in the UK, may be it price will high for calling, and you did 't get any offers. And if you are using Thai GSM phone in Thai, then you get all benefits of mobile.

Posted

Every country uses same GSM mobile.

I'm sure our resident pedant will be along shortly to correct you on this. Japan uses the CDMA system.

Posted

Isn't VictoriaJustin12 posting out of Japan?

Welcome to OE, by the way... :whistling:

Posted

Not according to his/her IP :whistling: