Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Indonesia's Ladyboys (Waria)

3 posts in this topic

Posted

So you thought Thailand had the monopoly on Ladyboys? Interesting pictoral of Indonesian Waria here. I don't like the look of yours Tiz...

Vera and her friends are part of a group known in Indonesia as waria - the word comes from the Indonesian word "wanita" meaning woman, and "pria" meaning man. They make a living by playing off the reactions of their customers: fear, curiosity, liberation.

Some stall-holders dance along with them; others turn away in disgust. One young boy watches them pass, open-mouthed, his meal dropping unnoticed into his lap...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pict...aria/html/1.stm

Posted

Mrs Tiz is 169cm tall. She often jokes to me that she's really a ladyboy. :blink:

Posted

It's not polite to criticise people on the way they look- particularly when I'm no oil painting myself- but you'd have to be pretty rat-@r$ed to confuse one of them for a real woman.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Methodologies For Learning New Languages
      By Bluecat · Posted
      Indeed, the main reason most native English speakers do not speak another language
      By METHOS · Posted
      I'm much liking this memrise site. I think the use of combining the major methods of learning make it very effective. That said, I know that this step is only part of the process, albeit, a large part. Learning the vocabulary will only help to build a foundation, and putting the language to use by conversing with native speakers is key in any language for a number of reasons. I think necessity often trumps desire, but in the case of language learning, necessity may be rare for native English speakers. I also think necessity can sometimes be limiting. Some linguists speak about creating an environment of necessity by way of self-immersion, even if you are not able to leave your home, as a means of expediting the learning process. By that, they mean, forcing yourself to use the target language throughout the day, in everything that you do, whenever possible. Not sure how that's supposed to work, but the gist makes sense. I suppose that would involve conversing over VoIP and the like, especially.
      By Bluecat · Posted
      Indeed Methos, and learning a language requires lot of efforts, whatever way you do it. So I guess that any method is good providing you spend enough time doing it, and usually it means, as Dixie said, being immersed in a situation that requires you to learn it.
    • Vietnam has enforced visa exemption policy for citizens from 5 Western-European countries
      By JennyVo · Posted
       Vietnam government has enforced the 46th Resolution/NQ-CP to give out visas exemption policy for citizens from 5 countries: Kingdom of Great Britain, Republic of France, Federal Republic of Germany, Kingdom of Spain and Republic of Italy, when they come to Vietnam. In detail, citizens from these 5 countries mentioned above will get visa exemption when entering Vietnam with the time limit of stay in Vietnam NOT exceeding over 15 days, since the day they get the entry permit to Vietnam. And it will be applied to any types of passports and under any types of traveling purposes, if the applicants are suitable to apply under currently issued Vietnamese law. This policy will be enforced in the period of one year, from the date of July 1st, 2015 to over the date of June 30th, 2015, and it will be reconsidered later under the Vietnam law to be extended or so. At the annual meeting on May, 2015, Vietnam government has reached the unanimous agreement with some resolutions in solving existing problems and help developing Vietnam tourism upon the submitted plan by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, in which mentions about the matters of expanding the list of countries that should have visa exemption from Vietnam, issuing e-visas, and simplifying the procedure of issuing visas in Vietnam. At the 92th Resolution/NQ-CP’s meeting about some resolutions to speed up the action of developing Vietnam tourism in this new era, which was issued by the end of 2014, Vietnam Government also requested the Ministry of Public Security to take the lead, along with the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and along with some involved offices, in the action of checking, researching, and then submit a plan of expanding the list of countries that should have visa exemption from Vietnam along with securing the national security. Up until now, Vietnam has given out one-way visa exemption policy for 7 countries (Japan, Korea, Norway, Poland, Denmark, Sweden, and Russia), two-way visa exemption policy for 9 countries in ASEAN group. Lately, Vietnam government also enforced the visa exemption policy for the Republic of Belarus. Since the first visa exemption policy (since 2014), the number of tourists from Japan to Vietnam has increased up to 2.43 times, from Korea is 3.6 times, and from Russia (since 2009) is 7.45 times… Source: Chinhphu.vn
      By Dixie · Posted
      For me the best way to learn is to immerse yourself with in the language you want to learn. Its amazing how quickly you learn when you have to. When I was in Brazil very few people I was with spoke English, after two months I was able to have a one on one conversation, however if I was in a group situation with everyone chatting I lost my way. I am currently learning Thai, I have computer aides etc, but it seems that whenever I use a phrase from a computer my partner corrects me. I listen constantly to my partner and her daughter talking and although I still struggle to speak Thai I seem to be able to pick up on most conversations they are having. I will carry on as I am for now and when I eventually go and live in Thailand I hope I will be better equipped to fit in. So like anything else...if you have access to a native speaker..practice, practice, practice....