Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why would anyone live in Burma?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm just curious. It seems such a messed up country, yet I know there's expats there, so my question is, what draws you to the place?

Posted

Im guessing - money

Posted

The only person I know there went there by accident. He's a member here but rarely logs in... he thought he was going to work for the Burma Oil company in the UK :D

Only other things I can think of are the beaches and the historic sites... and the girls??? Never been there, so can't comment.

Posted

I'll have to take a look one of these days.... hear its quite beautiful.

Posted

When I went there in 1977 or 1978 the place had an old-world colonial charm. People were friendly and many spoke excellent English. No girls that I could find and the only beer I could find was in large hotels. Nice temples, some good food. At the time foreigners were restricted to staying in certain hotels and even to travelling in certain railway carriages. OK for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Posted

When I went there in 1977 or 1978

OK for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
I would guess that even Burma has changed a bit in 30 years. :D

Posted

But for the better? :D