Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help With Korean Translation

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy,

I am nearly finished writing a story and a very small amount of the dialog is in phonetic Korean. After a rather tortuous series of events, I finally managed to get a translation from the English into the Korean for inclusion in the book.

Unfortunately, my Korean is not nearly as good as my Mandarin, so I ended up having to go through a third party in order to acquire a correct translation. With my only Korean "friend" (ex-girlfriend) backing out on her promise to do the translation (she works as a translator) at the last minute -- go figure -- I was forced to restort to a friend of a friend. The end result is that I am not quite sure that what I have in my possession is correct. In fact, I am fairly certain at least one sentence is not.

I have a whole FIVE short lines of random dialog that I need to complete the story.

I would be very grateful if someone who is fluent in Korean could look over the translations and verify that they are good.

If so, please respond to this post and I will supply the sentences in both the English and phonetic Korean.

Thanks

Posted

There is a guy who drops by here from time to time and he is based in Korea. His name here is 'Harpeau'. Perhaps he'll be along soon.

Posted

Thanks, any help will be appreciated. :huh:

Posted

Still interested in some help on this. Thanks.

Posted

You could always PM him and give him a nudge about this thread :huh:

Posted

Ah, but I do not wish to appear pushy.

:whistling:

Posted

Hi there,

I apologise, but though I live in the heart of Seoul, my Korean sucks. Best of luck to you in finding the help that you need.

Posted

Thank you for your reply.

I will figure something out.

Posted

Babelfish does Korean now. Though it's never perfect you can get it close and just do a few corrections to tidy it up.

http://www.babelfish.altavista.com/

Posted

Yup, already tried Babelfish.

Problem is I don't need Korean Characters -- I need a phonetic translation. That would be the Korean written out as it sounds in English characters.

An example would be "Annyeonghaseyo" -- the Korean greeting.

Thanks anyway.

:D

Posted

Forgot to make a note here that I finally, in a round-about manner, managed to finally get the translation I needed. Thanks for the replies though.

Posted (edited)

Here is the link to a free downloadable English to Korean and Korean phonetic PDF: http://hanmi.netfirms.com/phonetic_dictionary.htm

Edited by Mandrunk
Fixed link